Thursday, April 11, 2013

The strange mystical love logic of a former wife beater

The body is like a dream. When we see this and awake, not a trace remains. How much time is left for the looking?

— The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master

The preacher man
said this earth suit
will slip away
like a blade
of grass that withers 
under the scorching sun
and falls to the ground.

I’m a sinner
like you he said.
I used to beat 
my wife [and she
stood there next to him 
gleaming 
saying nothing 
with her mouth, nodding]

but I gave 
my life to Jesus
and now I’m a sinner
saved by grace who beats 
the Devil instead 
cutting him down
to size!

When this earth suit 
slips away 
I’ll put on
a new shinier heavenly
suit that will last

forever and ever, amen!

He shot his wife
a look and they smiled.

Come to the Lord!
Be healed! Be saved!
Glory, hallelujah! he shouted
kicking back a heel
and hopping up off
the other foot as if
struck by lightning.

Shecomeonahonda!
Shecome Onahonda!
She come on a honda!

he said in a babbling tongue
his face contorted
the converted wife beater
channeling his anger
into a strange new
kind of mystical 
love logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment